Sports PR and social media campaign
The British Eagles is a UK-based fan organisation of one of the 32 NFL American Football teams, the Philadelphia Eagles.
Run and updated by Eagles fans based this side of the Atlantic, its goal was to grow the fan base and help them feel as close as possible to the team they love.
It sought to introduce paid membership and wanted to use the Eagles’ trip to play a game in London as the centre of PR activity to position it as the number one UK-based Philadelphia sports brand. We were chosen as its sports PR agency.
Objectives and planning
The British Eagles campaign focused on earned, shared and owned media and had the following aims:
- Introduce paid membership by identifying itself as the number one UK-based Philadelphia sports brand. There are two others to compete with
- Launch a podcast – we believed a UK Eagles podcast would cut through the digital noise of blog posts and news articles
- Increase followers and impressions and visitors to its website
- Produce expert commentary and gain coverage in the Philadelphia media
We wanted to centre the fan base as the go-to brand for UK and international media and organisations. This included getting influential third parties to appear on a British Eagles podcast and taking a boots on the ground approach, positioning in London for the week of the game to identify and take advantage of unscheduled opportunities in real time.
Numbers and figures
Increase in podcast plays
Increase in web visits
Selfie with the Super Bowl
British Eagles talk to BBC Radio 5 Live
Podcasts and interviews
We understood that other than the official press conferences and the game itself, opportunities to build the brand would be reactive by what was happening in real time.
Our approach worked. We secured unscheduled outputs including:
- Interviewed live on Philadelphia TV
- Appeared on the Philadelphia Eagles podcast and video show
- Gained behind-the-scenes access to the pep rally (no other media outlet was given such access)
- Podcast interviews with
- Eagles cheerleaders
- An ex-player
- Philadelphia reporters
In addition, a question we asked the head coach at a press conference was clipped off and used by the Eagles social media team.
Historic activity to lay the foundations for this campaign
In February 2018, the Eagles reached the Super Bowl for the first time in 14 years. We provided a UK Eagles fan flying to the game with access to the Twitter account.
Coverage achieved included:
- BBC Radio 5 Live
In addition, to boost engagement we built a section on the site for UK fans to submit pictures of them wearing Eagles merchandise.
The British Eagles was able to launch paid membership in the best possible position.
We secured key coverage including a mix of live and audio diary on: BBC Radio 5 Live, Metro, Eurosport, Philadelphia TV (Fox29), PhillySports.com and appeared on the Philadelphia Eagles podcast and on camera for their website and social media.
We received 1,595 plays of the podcast between 1 October and 30 November vs 513 between 12 April and 29 September.
British Eagles’ Twitter followers increased to 1,302 (target was 1,000). It’s engagement also excelled its target of 80k, pulling in 168k tweet impressions and receiving 905 mentions in October vs 143 in September.
Website (Oct 7 to Nov 7 vs 5 Sept to 6 Oct)
Its website received 708 visits, an increase of 413% from 47 visits and time spent on the page increased by 32%, a total of 1min 19.
Activity that grabbed attention and set us apart
- Only brand given behind-the-scenes access at pep rallies
- Selfie with Eagles legend Brent Celek and the Super Bowl trophy
- Media credentials: allowed us to interview players and coaches at a media/practice day and post-game in the locker room
- The Philadelphia Eagles clipped off a question we asked in the press conference and used it in isolation on their channels
- A Philadelphia reporter referred to our Eagles fan on the ground on her Instagram account as ‘the biggest Eagles fan in Europe’
We also forged relationships to strengthen the British Eagles’ media position at future events. Partnerships include:
- The Philadelphia Eagles gave us an exclusive in the run up to the London game, discussing their micro-site launched for the UK trip
- NFLUK grants us access to interview key NFL personnel. This shows that as a ‘fan’ group, we are trusted alongside the traditional media.
Engage us to be your sports PR agency
The services that make us an award-winning integrated PR agency
PR has been, and always will be, about your reputation. Your actions and communication, as well as what third parties say about your brand, has a direct impact on your sales.
We have in-house social media and SEO (search engine optimisation) skills to offer a fully integrated approach to positioning your business as an expert off- and online.
Find out more about why we are a respected digital PR agency.
Does your business need to manage a potentially negative story? Do negative articles appear on the first page of Google when your brand is searched for? Do you have a social media policy in place to deal with upset or angry customers?
We understand that when reputations are on the line, so too are sales and profits.
Whatever the issue or crisis, Outwrite is able to help protect your organisation’s reputation both off- and online.
The digital world is bustling with conversations; to get your messages seen, your content has to stand out. Outwrite offers a number of packages, each of which are tailored specifically to you. They are run on a one-to-one basis and are completely bespoke.
All of our social media courses are customisable to suit you. If you want more, or less, meetings over a longer, or shorter, period of time, that’s fine.
Find out more about why businesses engage Outwrite to be their social media training agency.
An account executive at an award-winning PR agency is urging her peers to continue their professional development with industry accreditation. Alice Lee joined North Wales-based Outwrite PR in September 2019 and has completed her first year of CPD points with the...
Brands of all sizes and in all sectors can receive negative comments on a daily basis, and it’s crucial to protect your online reputation by responding in a strategic way. Before social media, some complaints were easily forgotten mutterings. However, the digital...