PR for a civil engineering firm
About Jones Bros
Jones Bros Civil Engineering of Ruthin had grown from a two-man business in the 1950s to a £20m turnover civil engineering contractor when, in 2000, it decided to appoint a PR agency to support an ambitious growth strategy.
The PR brief was to increase its reputation as a leader in the industry so it would be invited to tender for bigger, more valuable contracts across the UK.
Outwrite created a PR strategy with the following aims:
- Improve awareness that the company had the UK’s largest fleet of heavy plant
- Increase the firm’s profile beyond North Wales
- Drive new business opportunities towards Jones Bros in line with its business plan to grow in sectors including energy, coastal and marine work, highways and waste remediation
- In particular, promote the company’s expertise in onshore wind farm construction, as this was the company’s primary target growth area
Objectives and planning
- Identified news stories and editorial opportunities
- Drafted press releases in a journalistic style
- Commissioned press-style photography
- Issued the release to our contacts in the media
- Secured coverage as editorial
- Recycled the content through the rest of the JB marketing eg web content, social media, print newsletters
Numbers and figures
Turnover increase from 2000 to 2016
Of turnover was for on-shore wind farms
- Maintained an ongoing, pro-active, positive profile among stakeholders including North Wales media, of a company that is a major employer in the region
- Approached BBC network TV with the idea and secured an interview by correspondent, Hugh Pym, on BBC One’s News At 10
- Pitched and placed double-page features in UK trade and technical media including New Civil Engineering, Renewables News and Concrete News
- Secured a Radio 5 Live reporter to be anchored at Ruthin HQ and conduct live interviews throughout the breakfast programme at the start of National Apprenticeship Week
- Commissioned press-style photography that is always selected by editors for publication, subject to space
- Written the entry and gathered evidence that has won national awards eg Institute of Directors, as well as regionally such as Daily Post Business Awards
- Set up and maintain the company’s crisis communications plan, including implementation
- Regularly placed Jones Bros items and broadcast interviews in Welsh media including S4C, Radio Cymru, Yr Herald and Golwg.
- Is consulted by the board on strategic reputation and communications advice
Today, Jones Bros is a circa £90m turnover company. In the last financial year, approx 60 per cent of that turnover was in onshore wind farm construction. (figures from draft accounts).
Its owner and chairman, Huw Jones, says of Outwrite:
“I credit Outwrite with making a significant contribution to the growth and success of Jones Bros Civil Engineering over recent years.
“Its team is readily available, proactive and creative. Outwrite’s work has raised our profile and reputation beyond our expectations, which has helped us when tendering for new contracts.
“Their staff are calm in a crisis, when they give excellent advice under time pressures.
“They are not afraid to tell us ‘no’ when an idea won’t work.
“My company has also benefited from the fact that Outwrite doesn’t stand still. We originally appointed them as a press agency, to write releases and get media coverage. They’re now an all-round integrated communications agency which means we get strategic, joined-up SEO, social media, website development and marketing advice and services, as well as fantastic ongoing media coverage in North Wales and across the UK.
“I recommend Outwrite.”
The services that make us an award-winning integrated PR agency
PR has been, and always will be, about your reputation. Your actions and communication, as well as what third parties say about your brand, has a direct impact on your sales.
We have in-house social media and SEO (search engine optimisation) skills to offer a fully integrated approach to positioning your business as an expert off- and online.
Find out more about why we are a respected digital PR agency.
Does your business need to manage a potentially negative story? Do negative articles appear on the first page of Google when your brand is searched for? Do you have a social media policy in place to deal with upset or angry customers?
We understand that when reputations are on the line, so too are sales and profits.
Whatever the issue or crisis, Outwrite is able to help protect your organisation’s reputation both off- and online.
Find out more about why brands choose us as their crisis PR agency.
The digital world is bustling with conversations; to get your messages seen, your content has to stand out. Outwrite offers a number of packages, each of which are tailored specifically to you. They are run on a one-to-one basis and are completely bespoke.
All of our social media courses are customisable to suit you. If you want more, or less, meetings over a longer, or shorter, period of time, that’s fine.
Find out more about why businesses engage Outwrite to be their social media training agency.
Engage us to be your integrated PR and SEO agency
Get in touch to discuss how we can promote your brand.
We're recruiting! We’re on the hunt for an account executive or senior account executive to join the agency. Following a number of new account wins and continued growth, we are looking to add another PR superstar to our already talented team. Why Outwrite We’re an...
This post first appeared in Anthony Bullick’s Daily Post column A recent Which? investigation turned its attention on what appears to be the very murky world of online reviews. It found many companies, including in the UK, have been paying for positive fake ratings on...